Universal City Animal Care & Control Surrender Policy
Surrendered AnimalsWe understand that life can be unpredictable and present challenges for pets and their families. These challenges may affect your ability to properly care for your pet. However, the UCACC team strongly urges you to first exhaust all other options before surrendering your pet to the shelter as we should be the last resort.
Before choosing to surrender your pet, please explore alternative rehoming options such as friends, family and neighbors. Social media sites like Nextdoor and Facebook can be a good resource for getting the word out about rehoming your pet. Contact humane organizations and rescue groups. Understand that it takes time to rehome a pet and patience is necessary.
Resident pet owners who have exhausted all other options and decide to surrender to us, surrender fees will apply. Surrenders are by appointment only and available appointments are determined by several factors including existing kennel space and other special circumstances. Again, this process may take time.
- All surrenders require proof of residency such as a water or utility bill.
- Resident must provide valid government issued ID, phone number and email address.
- Resident will be required to complete and sign an Owner Surrender agreement. To save time, download and complete before your appointment.
- Resident will be required to pay all applicable surrender fee(s) at the time of surrender.
- Resident will be asked to provide your pets general information such as spay/neutered, breed, age, behavioral concerns and medical information. Please provide your pets vaccination records.
- Reason you wish to surrender your pet.
- Once an animal is surrendered, the owner will hold no further claim to the animal or to the final disposition of the animal.
- Animal will become property of the City immediately once the pet is surrendered.
- Animal may be adopted, transferred or euthanized at any time due to space restrictions, medical reasons or disposition.
- Animal will not be returned to the owner except under normal adoption conditions. Owner will need to reimburse the City for its expense for caring for the animal and any expenses associated with preparing and holding the animal for adoption. Fees may exceed the normal adoption fee.